Pet-proof your home this Christmas to avoid these hazards

December 15, 2021

Many homes in Molesey and the surrounding areas will be filled with lots of yummy and exciting things as we get closer to Christmas – something your pets will enjoy too. Partridge Vets’ team of experienced veterinary nurses have pulled together a list of festive pet hazards to be aware of this season. We also have a handy tick list to help you pet-proof your home and avoid these dangers.

Download our pet-proofing tick list

Just in case your cat, dog, or rabbit does get into trouble, we’ve included the symptoms to look out for below too. You can always call us here at Molesey Vets in an emergency on 0208 979 1384.

13 Festive Pet Hazards:


  1. Chocolate – This much-loved treat contains theobromine, which is toxic to pets. Symptoms of ingestion include vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness, hyperactivity, and seizures, which can be seen 4-24 hours after ingestion and in extreme cases can be fatal.


  1. Raisins, Currants & Grapes – These fruits are toxic whether eaten alone or in cakes, mince pies, and other foods. They can cause kidney failure so don’t give your pet any. Symptoms can take several days to appear and include loss of appetite, vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy, and excessive drinking.


  1. Nuts – Macadamia nuts are toxic to pets and can cause weakness, depression, tremors, vomiting, and a high temperature. Signs develop within 12 hours of ingestion and can last 12-48 hours, but should be treated immediately. In general, the fat in nuts can make them difficult for pets to digest, and swallowed whole can cause internal obstructions and serious clinical problems.


  1. Onions, Garlic & Chives These contain thiosulphate, which is poisonous to cats, dogs, and rabbits whether eaten raw or cooked into meals. Signs of poisoning are seen 2-4 days after ingestion and include lethargy, breathlessness, vomiting, and diarrhoea.


  1. Fats, Spices & Seasoning – Poultry skin, pigs in blankets, roast potatoes, and gravy are usually high in fat (and some contain onion and garlic) and can cause pancreatitis in cats and dogs. Anything heavily spiced or seasoned can also cause problems, as your pet’s stomach is not used to it. Stuffing typically contains several harmful ingredients.


  1. Cooked poultry bones – Turkey and chicken bones especially become brittle during cooking and can splinter. This can cause injuries to your pet’s mouth, tongue, oesophagus, windpipe, stomach, or intestines. Gristle can also cause harmful intestinal blockages.


  1. Alcohol – Alcoholic drinks are more toxic to animals than humans. Ingestion of food or drink containing even small amounts of alcohol can cause vomiting, diarrhoea, co-ordination issues, depression, tremors, coma, and death.


  1. Poinsettia – The brightly coloured leaves of this plant contain a sap that’s irritating to the mouth and oesophagus tissues. Ingestion causes nausea and vomiting. Poisoning would only occur if large amounts are ingested, which is unlikely due to the irritation.


  1. Holly – Another festive favourite, holly leaves and berries are toxic and if ingested will cause severe intestinal upset, resulting in vomiting and diarrhoea.


  1. Mistletoe – Ingesting the leaves or berries can cause mild signs of digestive irritation, such as drooling, vomiting, and abdominal pain. Large amounts can lead to more severe issues, including low blood pressure, abnormal heart rate, collapse, and seizures.


  1. Christmas trees – The oils produced by fir trees can cause irritation to your pet’s mouth and stomach, leading to excessive drooling or vomiting. The needles alone can cause great pain to your pet if eaten. The water your Christmas tree is sitting in contains bacteria, mould, and fertilisers from the tree that can make pets very sick.


  1. Christmas decorations & gifts – Anything your pet can break and step on, get stuck in, eat or drink (if not for them), or choke on is a hazard. Eating string and socks can cause severe stomach issues, and tinsel consumption can lead to dehydration, diarrhoea, lethargy, appetite loss, abdomen pain, pawing at the mouth, vomiting, and weakness.


  1. Essential oils – It’s important to do your research as many oils are toxic to pets. If your pet has ingested, inhaled, or got essential oils on their paws or coat, they may appear depressed, unsteady, and have a low body temperature. In severe cases there may be vomiting and diarrhoea as well.


With all of these hazards in the home this time of year, our nursing team at Molesey Vets advise that it’s best to be prepared. As well as keeping the above list to hand, be sure to grab our Festive Pet-Proofing Tick List for your home. By having everything covered now, you and your pets can safely enjoy the rest of the holidays.

Download our pet-proofing tick list

Call us if you have a pet health emergency over the festive period – we are here for you and your pets day & night on 0208 979 1384.

Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies