Animal health certificates for pet travel

Whether you’re planning on taking your pet on holiday or emigrating with them overseas, at Claygate Vets we can provide the necessary health checks, blood tests, animal health certificates and any other documentation required for your pet to travel.

Book a pet travel consultation


Overseas pet travel requirements

Members of our Veterinary Team hold Official Veterinarian (OV) status, which is needed to issue animal health certificates and other documentation required for pets travelling overseas.

Our Vets have a combined wealth of knowledge and experience dealing with animal travel requirements, so you can rest assured that we will be thorough, as well as efficient, whilst helping you get your pet ‘fit’ and ready to travel.

Travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland

We recommend that you should begin the process of planning your pet’s trip and obtaining the necessary pet travel paperwork at least 6 weeks before you are due to leave. Your pet will require a rabies vaccination and a blood test (after 21 days) to prove rabies protection, before they are eligible to travel. At Claygate Vets, we advise allowing extra time in case any of your pet’s tests need repeating.

Post-BREXIT, you are no longer able to use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) for pet travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. However, you can still use a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland.

If you are travelling to an EU country or Northern Ireland your pet needs:

  • to be microchipped
  • a valid rabies vaccination (having waited 21 days for the results)
  • animal health certificate (or a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland)
  • tapeworm treatment for dogs if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta, and for entry back into Great Britain (it must be given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter GB).

The above requirements also apply to assistance dogs. You may need to produce your pet’s documents on arrival.

You can find rules for repeat trips and travelling with more than five pets on the Government’s travel advice site:

Travelling to a non-EU country / Rest of the World

We recommend that you research the requirements for exporting your pet to a destination outside of the EU well in advance of your travel dates. For some countries with strict requirements, you may need to start preparing for your pet’s trip eight months in advance.

You will need to get an export health certificate (EHC), and complete an export application form (EXA) if you are in England, Scotland or Wales. The export health certificate checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you are travelling to – you must nominate an officially recognised Vet who will be sent the EHC to complete during the required health check. The EHC and EXA forms for each country and pet will tell you how to apply.

Animal health certificates in Claygate – contact us.


Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies