Animal health certificates for pet travel

Taking your pet abroad can be a wonderful experience for you both, but it can take some organising. At Molesey Vets, we can provide the necessary health checks, blood tests, animal health certificates and any other documentation your pet requires to travel overseas.

Book a pet travel consultation


Taking your cat, dog, or ferret overseas

At Molesey Vets, members of our Veterinary Team hold Official Veterinarian (OV) status, which is needed to issue animal health certificates and other documentation required for pet travel around the world.

Our team has a combined wealth of knowledge and experience dealing with animal travel requirements. You can rest assured that our Vets will be thorough, as well as efficient, whilst helping you get your pet ‘fit’ and ready to travel.

You can find out the entry requirements for your destination here:


Travelling to an EU country / Northern Ireland

We advise that you should arrange a pet travel appointment at least 4-5 weeks before you are due to leave. Your pet will need:

  • A health check to ensure they are ‘fit to travel’
  • To be microchipped
  • A valid rabies vaccination (a rabies vaccine and a blood test after 21 days to prove rabies protection)
  • An Animal Health Certificate (or a pet passport issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland)
  • Tapeworm treatment (dogs) if you’re travelling directly to Finland, Ireland, Northern Ireland, Norway or Malta, and for entry back into Great Britain (it must be given no less than 24 hours and no more than 120 hours (5 days) before you enter GB).

Please note:

  1. You are no longer able to use a pet passport issued in Great Britain (England, Wales & Scotland) for pet travel to an EU country or Northern Ireland. Pet passports issued in an EU country or Northern Ireland are still permitted.
  2. The above requirements also apply to assistance dogs.
  3. You may need to produce your pet’s documents on arrival.

For advice on repeat trips and travelling with more than five pets, visit:


Travelling to a non-EU country / Rest of the World

If your pet will be travelling (or exported) to a destination outside of the EU, we recommend that you research the entry requirements well in advance of the ideal travel dates here – Some countries have strict requirements so you may need to start preparing for your pet’s trip eight months in advance.

For pet travel to a country outside of the EU, they will need an Export Health Certificate (EHC) and an Export Application form (EXA) if you are in England, Scotland or Wales. The EHC checks that your pet meets the health requirements of the country you are travelling to – you must nominate an officially recognised Vet who will be sent the EHC to complete during the required health check. The EHC and EXA forms for each country and pet will tell you how to apply.

Contact us to book a pet travel appointment


Strictly Necessary

These cookies are required for our website to operate and include items such as whether or not to display this pop-up box or your session when logging in to the website. These cookies cannot be disabled.


We use 3rd party services such as Google Analytics to measure the performance of our website. This helps us tailor the site content to our visitors needs.


From time to time, we may use cookies to store key pieces of information to make our site easier for you to use. Examples of this are remembering selected form options to speed up future uses of them. These cookies are not necessary for the site to work, but may enhance the browsing experience.


We may use advertising services that include tracking beacons to allow us to target our visitors with specific adverts on other platforms such as search or social media. These cookies are not required but may improve the services we offer and promote.

Change Settings

Welcome. You can control how we use cookies and 3rd party services below

Change Settings Accept
Learn how we use cookies